ADSM-L

Re: Reclaims Ques

2001-06-19 15:47:53
Subject: Re: Reclaims Ques
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:48:09 -0400
>How long does it usually take for the reclamation process to actually stop,
>and release the tape drive(s) so the restore can use them?  I've typically
>seen this be 40 minutes or more, but I'm not sure why,  or if something
>could be done to speed it up.

Lindsay - The first thing I would check is whether you have NOPREEMPT in
          your server options file.  Reclamation of onsite volumes itself
takes a long time, but at least looks at the Reclamation Threshold between
volumes: offsite volume reclamation never looks back, just continuing to
process all the volumes it saw that it had to do when it started.

If you don't have NOPREEMPT in force, there may be something else at play.
Do queries in a future situation and see if an explicit Cancel Process
will stop reclamation.

  Richard Sims, BU