ADSM-L

Re: Recovery log utilization does not drop after DB backup (+ pinned logtail)

2001-06-05 12:44:39
Subject: Re: Recovery log utilization does not drop after DB backup (+ pinned logtail)
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 17:46:27 +0100
Paul,

Thanks,  I see what you mean about expire inventory - and we do have a
vulnerability there.  Right from the start we have done expiration on a
Saturday (and it finishes then too now - wheras it used to last until
Monday (so some things have got better!), and without any scheduled
sessions or conflicting processes.  But we can't prevent any backups
unless we were to disable sessions.  I guess we have been lucky.  And,
I'd better take another look at your preventative measures ...

>I'm not sure if we've seen this.  If the session "dies", won't the idle
>timeout terminate it?

I would say normally yes, but I have observed sessions (particularly
Netware and Mac on slow boxes) that just appear not to be sending data
and I cancel them.  I suppose it is difficult to say whether they are
still sending the occasional bit of data unless you observe them over
a longer period than I usually give them (around an hour).  I'll look
more carefully next time and investigate the cancellation of slow
sessions with the troughput options.

Maybe we'll get some good news in September in one of the sessions ...

>--
>Paul Zarnowski                         Ph: 607-255-4757
>747 Rhodes Hall, Cornell University    Fx: 607-255-8521
>Ithaca, NY 14853-3801                  Em: psz1 AT cornell DOT edu

Sheelagh
--
Sheelagh Treweek
Sheelagh Treweek