ADSM-L

Betreff: Re: hsm-restore

2001-06-05 05:24:21
Subject: Betreff: Re: hsm-restore
From: Markus Berg <MBERG AT HR-ONLINE DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:21:50 +0200
Hello Richard,

first, thanks for your interest and your friendly help :-)

To 1.

Yes, a backupversion must exist before they are eligibile for automatic
migration. But this option is true for all files in the filesystem.

Managementclass-Settings:
STANDARD:ACTIVE:DATEN - Properties
----------------------------------
Policy domain                                : STANDARD
Policy domain                                : STANDARD
Policy set                                   : ACTIVE
Management class                             : DATEN
Description                                  : MC fuer /daten auf Anna HSM und
Backup
Default management class?                    : No
Last update by                               : ADMIN
Last update date/time                        : 11/17/1998 14:27:03
Type of space management allowed             : Automatic migration and
Selective migration
Eligibility for automatic migration          : After 0 days of non-usage
&Backup version must exist                   : Yes
Storage pool destination for migration files : SPACEMG

To 2.

We don't use Unix-ACL's. The hsm-filesystem is exported via nfs and there is
only one User ( one program) who use this exported filesystem.

Here are some fact's:
Here are some fact's:

dsm.sys:
Defaultserver         anna
checkthresholds       5
kernelmessages        yes
maxrecalldaemons      6
maxreconcileproc      1
maxthresholdproc      1
migfileexpiration     14
minrecalldaemons      2
reconcileinterval     6
SErvername  anna
   COMMmethod         TCPip
   TCPPort            1500
   TCPServeraddress   10.13.1.55
   nodename           anna
   inclexcl           /usr/lpp/adsm/bin/inclexcl
   passwordaccess     generate
   schedlogretention  14,D
* COMMmethod            HTTP
* HTTPport              1580

dsm.opt:
SErvername       anna
Domain           / /usr /var /home
tapeprompt       no
restoremigstate  yes
------------
This is what i tested:
This is what i tested:

Test with a migrated file:

1. dsmls /daten/000fca21.mp2

 ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager
 space management Interface - Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.7
 (C) Copyright IBM Corporation, 1990, 1999. All Rights Reserved.

      Actual     Resident     Resident  File   File
        Size         Size     Blk (KB)  State  Name
     9040896          4095            4  m      000fca21.mp2

2. rm /daten/000fca21.mp2

3. dsmc restore -restoremigstate=yes "/daten/000fca21.mp2"

Node Name: ANNA
Session established with server ANNA: AIX-RS/6000
  Server Version 3, Release 1, Level 2.40
  Server date/time: 06/05/01   10:21:29  Last access: 06/05/01   08:39:56

Restoring       9,040,896 /daten/000fca21.mp2 [Done]

Restore processing finished.

Total number of objects restored:         1
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:        0
Data transfer time:                    0.00 sec
Network data transfer rate:            0.00 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:          0.00 KB/sec
Elapsed processing time:           00:00:01

4. dsmls /daten/000fca21.mp2

      Actual     Resident     Resident  File   File
        Size         Size     Blk (KB)  State  Name
     9040896          511            4  m      000fca21.mp2

--> the stubfilesize has changed to 511 byte and now type from the backuppool
was required.
backuppool was required.

Test with a premigrated file:
Test with a premigrated file:

1. dsmls /daten/000fcf63.mp2

Actual     Resident     Resident  File   File
        Size         Size     Blk (KB)  State  Name
     8453376      8453376         8320  p      000fcf63.mp2

2. rm /daten/000fcf63.mp2

3. dsmc restore -restoremigstate=yes "/daten/000fcf63.mp2"

Restore function invoked.

Node Name: ANNA
Session established with server ANNA: AIX-RS/6000
  Server Version 3, Release 1, Level 2.40
  Server date/time: 06/05/01   10:55:12  Last access: 06/05/01   10:21:29

 ** Interrupted **
ANS1114I Waiting for mount of offline media.
Restoring       8,453,376 /daten/000fcf63.mp2 [Done]

Restore processing finished.

Total number of objects restored:         1
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:     8.06 MB
Data transfer time:                    1.18 sec
Network data transfer rate:        6,951.97 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:        144.06 KB/sec
Elapsed processing time:           00:00:57

4. dsmls /daten/000fcf63.mp2

      Actual     Resident     Resident  File   File
        Size         Size     Blk (KB)  State  Name
     8453376      8453376         8320  r      000fcf63.mp2

--> a tape from the backuppool was required
I tested this with only the two files above. So i don't know if the I tested
this with only the two files above. So i don't know if the test-results are
representative for all migrated and premigrated files in the filesystem.

markus

Markus Berg

EDV-Organisation und -Entwicklung II

Hessischer Rundfunk
Bertramstraße 8
60320 Frankfurt am Main

Tel.: 069/155 2061
        0160/7461556
Fax: 069/155 3388

>>> rbs AT BU DOT EDU 06/04 3:46  >>>
>Hello Richard,
>
>all files in the filesystem are audiofiles and greater than 4 k. In
>addition all files are in a migrated or premigrated state. It is possible
>that the files those are premigrated requires a tapemount? I tested the
>following on the old filesystem:
>
>1. rm one of the premigrated audiofiles
>2. dsmc restore with option restoremigstate=yes
>
>The result:
>tapemount and restore from a backuptape
>the restored audiofile is in a resident state.
>
>markus

Markus - I can think of two possibilities...

1. The files had been backed up before they migrated.
   In this case, when the Backup occurred, they were ordinary files and were
   backed up that way.  In the absence of a stub file in the backup storage
   pool, the whole file has to be restored.

2. The files are using Unix ACLs.
   Page 52 of the latest HSM manual make the blanket statement that files with
   ACLs are always fully restored.

A much less probable cause might be having  RESToremigstate No  in your client
options file and TSM erroneously observing that instead of the
-RESToremigstate=Yes specification on the command line; but I doubt it.
(However, if one omitted it from the command line, assuming that the Yes
(However, if one omitted it from the command line, assuming that the Yes
default would be in effect...)

    Richard Sims, BU