ADSM-L

Re: Netware client code

2001-06-04 16:11:15
Subject: Re: Netware client code
From: "LY, Tuan (Kanata)" <TLY AT MDS.NORDION DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 15:57:33 -0400
Hi,

I'm new to the TSM environment. I need help on the Netware backup.
Currently, we are running Novell 4.11 with SP9. On the TSM side, TSM server
is 4.1 and is running on RS/6000 with AIX 4.3.3.
The client code I have is 4.1.2. When the last time I tested the Novell TSM
client 4.1.2, I ran into couple problems.
First, When I first tried to backup the 2GB SYS volume, it took 2 hrs and it
only backup 800MB. I then stop the backup test. The biggest problem I'm
facing now is that we have a volume that is about 100GB in size and has a
lots of directories and small files. I can't imagine how long will it take
to backup a 100GB volume.
Secondly, after I have finished the backup and when I unload the TSM client
on the Novell console, I got an error message that a certain small amount
memory could not be free up. My concern is that if I run the TSM backup on
Novell nightly, if the TMS client does not release those memory this will
cause memory leak on the Novell server and will cause the Novell server
crash sooner or later. Anyway, the Novell server that we have is a three
years old Compaq proliant 2500R which we about to retire, it has a 3com GBit
Ethernet card with 1 GB of memory. SYS-2GB, VOL1-100GB, VOL2-35GB.

Any feedback or solution will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tuan