ADSM-L

Re: ADSM/TSM memory leak?

2001-05-30 16:48:28
Subject: Re: ADSM/TSM memory leak?
From: Steve Schaub <Steve.Schaub AT HAWORTH DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:47:23 -0400
We run a C00-3466 AIX 4.3.3 using TSm 3.7.3.8 with 1gb memory backing up 100+
clients nightly (> 300gb) and the box has been up for over 2 months.  I have
never seen a paging space error.  My only concern with memory is our ability to
get our tsm db util over 96% (and that's with 500mb dedicated to it).

Steve Schaub
Haworth, Inc
email: Steve.Schaub AT Haworth DOT com

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large

>>> jdtan AT MED.CORNELL DOT EDU 05/29 4:34 PM >>>
Thanks for the responses about the HTTP sessions. I guess it is quite
a widespread problem. Unfortunately, limiting ourselves to certain
browsers (even IE5.5) is not an option for us. I guess we'll live
with it for now.

But I did have another inquiry. Does anyone else regularly reboot
their TSM/ADSM server app? Regularly, meaning every 3 days or even
more often.

We have 1.1 GB of RAM on our TSM box. Under ADSM, this apparently
wasn't enough, as we always got "Paging space low!" if the server app
ran for more than ~72 hours without restarting the app (is this
what's called a "memory leak"?). TSM apparently does the same thing.
It respawns itself, but it's still bad cuz if it dies during an
operation involving tapes, it always screws us up.

So I plan to reboot the server app every day, but just wondering if
we're the only ones with this problem.