ADSM-L

Re: tsm sql error messages

2001-05-29 08:20:19
Subject: Re: tsm sql error messages
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:21:30 -0400
Mark,

TDP for SQL does not require you to do that.
If you lose this customer because of this, then I encourage
you to read on because there is an easy solution with
TDP for SQL V1.... and multiple solutions with TDP for SQL V2.

TDP for SQL V1, in which you are referring to, has an option called
"/SQLSECURE" which allows you to use Windows "authentication"
for communicating with the SQL Server.  In other words, it
uses your Windows userid and password for authenticating with
the SQL server.

In TDP for SQL V2, you can store the SQLUSERID and SQLPASSWORD
encrypted in the registry so that both GUI and command-line
can be used without having to enter the userid/password.
In TDP for SQL V2, you also have the choice of using Windows
"authentication" for communicating with the SQL Server.
Look at the "/SQLAUTHENTICATION=INTEGRATED" option.

I hope that gives you enough information to regain this customer.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

"It's a beautiful day.  Don't let it get away."  -- Bono

                    Mark Stapleton
                    <stapleton@BER       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    BEE.COM>             cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: tsm sql error messages
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
                    IST.EDU>

                    05/26/2001
                    12:37 AM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Del Hoobler wrote:
> Did you try specifying a valid sql userid and password?
> For example:
>
>    sqldsmc /backupfull:*  /SQLUSer:userid   /SQLPWD:password
>
> The default is "sa" for /SQLUSER and "" (blank) for SQLPWD.

...which begs a question:

Why in the name of God's greasy gonads did the TDP for SQL group build
sqldsmc.exe's code to require that I put a password for an SQL server's
system administrator ID in *clear test*? We're in danger of losing a
customer's TDP for SQL business because that system administrator's
password has to sit out there stark naked in a batch file. The TDP for
SQL's GUI interface allows you to enter the password once and have it
encrypted. Why in *hell* can't the command-line version use that
encrypted password?