ADSM-L

Re: LTO 3583 drive cleaning

2001-05-28 06:01:10
Subject: Re: LTO 3583 drive cleaning
From: Suad Musovich <suad AT CCU1.AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 22:02:00 +1200
> please let me advice, if anyone has some experience with automate drive
> cleaning in TSM 4.1. in 3583 library. In 3583 user guide is written, that is
> desirable clean the drive only if drive recognize it itself (on display
> appears special symbol).
> 1. Does 3583 make some notification to TSM server, that drive clean is
> needed?

Yes, like this:
 ANR8914I Drive DRIVE04 (/dev/rmt/10mt) in library DLTLIB needs to be cleaned.

> 2. Take TSM some automatic action, if cleaning cartridge is present in
> library (in inventory)?

You have to check in a cleaning cart in a specific way (see the Admin guide) and
set the "cleaning frequency" option on the drive(s) to "ASNEEDED"

> 3. Is that action notified in actlog (which message)?

The series of messages:
 ANR8914I Drive DRIVE04 (/dev/rmt/10mt) in library DLTLIB needs to be cleaned.
 ANR8906I Cleaning drive DRIVE04 (/dev/rmt/10mt) in library DLTLIB.
 ANR8908I CLEAN DRIVE for drive DRIVE04 (/dev/rmt/10mt) in library DLTLIB
completed
 successfully.

Suad