ADSM-L

Re: Include/Exclude

2001-05-22 11:52:17
Subject: Re: Include/Exclude
From: Kevin Kinder <Admin AT GWMAIL.STATE.WV DOT US>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 11:52:21 -0400
Mahesh,

I'm not sure if this will help, but we had some problems getting TSM to
recognize and execute out incl/excl statements correctly in the NetWare
enivronment.  Tivoli tech suppor recommended that we use full paths in our
incl/excl statements.  Here's a sample of the statements we are using on NW 5.x
servers:

EXCLUDE servername\*:/.../vol$log.err
EXCLUDE servername*:/.../tts$log.err
EXCLUDE servername*:/.../sys$log.err
EXCLUDE servername*:/.../events.log
EXCLUDE servername*:/.../secaudit.log
EXCLUDE servername*:/.../system.log
EXCLUDE servername*:/.../net$obj.sys
EXCLUDE servername*:/.../net$prop.sys
EXCLUDE servername*:/.../net$val.sys
EXCLUDE servername\sys:system/cmaster.dba
EXCLUDE servername\sys:system/btrieve.trn
EXCLUDE servername\sys:system/tsa/tsa$temp.*
EXCLUDE servername\sys:system/tsa/err$log.*
EXCLUDE servername\sys:system/tsa/skip$log.*
EXCLUDE servername\sys:system/tsa/err$hst.*
EXCLUDE servername\sys:_SWAP_.MEM
exclude.dir servername\sys:\queues

Note the exclude.dir statement - as noted in another reply, this should
specifically remove scanning of the specified dirs and all other dirs.

When we used this format, the odd behavior of these statements in NetWare
ceased - at least from our perspective.  Hope that helps.

--------------------
Kevin Kinder
Kevin Kinder
558-8844

>>> Mahesh Tailor <MTailor AT CARILION DOT COM> 5/22/01 10:30:05 AM >>>
I had posted this a few days ago, but I am not sure if anyone got it (my
Internet email gateway has not been behaving) . . .

Hello, all!

I have a clarification question about include/exclude statements.  One of
our Netware guru's pointed this out to me.  Here's what I have (NetWare 5)
in my dsm.opt file:

EXCLUDE *:\...\*.*
INCLUDE DATA:\USERS\...\*.*

When I perform an incremental backup of the node, the system backs up
everything on the system.  If on the other had I do the following:

INCLUDE DATA:\USERS\...\*.*
EXCLUDE *:\...\*.*

The system does not backup anything except the files in the
data:\users\...\*.* directories.

It seems the system is doing just the opposite of what it's supposed to
since these statements are supposed to the processed from the bottom
statement up. [See excerpt from Tivoli Storage Manager for NetWare Using
the Backup-Archive Client manual.]

Excerpt:
These options are checked from the bottom of the include-exclude list up,
until a match is found. If a match is found, the processing stops and
checks whether the option is include or exclude. If the option is include,
the file is backed up. If the option is exclude, the file is not backed
up.

Has something changed?  Can someone explain this?

TIA

Mahesh