ADSM-L

Re: R5 TDP Restores vs 4.6

2001-05-16 07:28:31
Subject: Re: R5 TDP Restores vs 4.6
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 07:27:02 -0400
Jack,

TDP for Lotus Notes and TDP for Lotus Domino
are not compatible with each other.
With Lotus Domino Server R5, Lotus provided an API
solely for the purposes of backup and restore.
It is done at the database level.
Domino R4 did not have this...and so the technique
for backing up and restoring on Domino R4 was very different.
It was done at the item level.

It is possible that you could get TDP for Lotus Notes
to restore data to a Domino R5 server but be aware that
it is not supported (translation: it may work but if
it doesn't, IBM support won't take APARs.)

I would suggest backing up your R5 servers with TDP for
Lotus Domino and keep an R4 server around in the event
that you need, for some reason, to go back to a
TDP for Lotus Notes (R4) backup.

(Side comment: Backing up your Lotus databases with the
TSM base client is fine... be aware, however, that if you
do this while your Domino server is running, it is possible
to get "inconsistent" backups.)

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

"It's a beautiful day.  Don't let it get away."  -- Bono

                    Jack Palmadesso
                    <jack.palmadesso AT SWPC DOT SI       To:     ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    EMENS.COM>                     cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist           Subject:     R5 TDP Restores
vs 4.6
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                    05/15/2001 04:41 PM
                    Please respond to "ADSM:
                    Dist Stor Manager"

> We are in the process of testing the restore capabilty of the R5
> agent.  My Notes admin wants to know if we can restore databases
> backed  up from Notes 4.6 using the ADSM Notes agent to the same server
> that has been upgraded to R5 server using the TDP Domino Agent.  Is
> this possible?

> We also backup our Notes databases using the standard TSM client as a
> double measure on weekends.

Thanks
Jack

#### jack.palmadesso.vcf has been removed from this note on May 16 2001 by
Del Hoobler