ADSM-L

Re: Do backup and restore interfere?

2001-05-15 16:12:44
Subject: Re: Do backup and restore interfere?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:13:35 -0400
>One of my drives got corrupted and had to be formated.
>I started the restore of all files using the GUI to refill the then
>empty drive.
>What I didn't think of was that 1 hour later the scheduled
>backup kicked in.
>Now the question is: Does *SM first collect all required files and
>then start the restore? Or would the backup of the (nearly) empty
>drive - resulting in all files getting inactivated - influence the restore?
>
>I want to be sure that the drive is restored completely!
>Any answer is greately appreciated!

Excellent... I don't have to worry about it being viable!  ;-)

The answer, like so many, is: it depends.
See the client manual, under Restore Using Commands, subsection
No Query Restore, which outlines how restorals proceed.
Depending on your options, the server may be compiling and maintaining the
list of files to be restored; or the client may have gotten the whole list
and be massaging it.

   Richard Sims, BU