ADSM-L

Re: TSM Client/AIX/Sybase paging space problem

2001-05-15 10:21:26
Subject: Re: TSM Client/AIX/Sybase paging space problem
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 10:21:52 -0400
I'm doing further checks.  I decided to eliminate the SQL Backtrack and
therefore turned off this backup and rebooted.  With only FS Incremental
running, still had paging space increase - but it also increased before the
back as well as during.!

This seems to be a slippery animal!  I will probably disable backups and some
other on/off/on stuff with a cron job or two.  I am more inclined to have our
DBA open a ticket with Sybase, but I will gather more info before I do.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> res03db2 AT GTE DOT NET 05/14/01 01:26PM >>>
I've seen some weird problems with paging space getting used
up on some of our AIX 4.3.3 systems running Sybase 12 and
dsmc as well.

I'm out of the office today, but will try to check into the
details when I'm back in the office.

Could you please send either the list, or me, info on what you
find? I'll send you anything I find.

(My first thought would be to see if running the backups from
an external scheduler does. I wonder if the resident/paging
size of "dsmc sched" increases over time.)

Thanks, [RC]

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 09:43:11AM -0400, David Longo wrote:
> [...]
> AIX 4.3.3. Maint Level 7
> Sybase ASE 12.0.0.1 (Using raw logical volumes  for db - vendor insisted on
> this)
> SQL Backtrack 4.5.00 with OBSI module 2.5.00
> TSM Client 4.1.2.0
>
> The paging space will jump up about 4 -8 % per day.  I do SQLBT backup of
> database at 12:15 am and regular FS incremental at 2:15 am.  Paging space
> incresases when each backup starts and does not go down.
>
> I saw info on Tivoli site that TSM client 4.1.0.0 (which I was using) had
> memory leak problems on NT and possibly other platforms, so I downloaded what
> I saw as latest AIX version, 4.1.2.0 and installed - no change.
> I have 4.1.0.0 on other AIX and NT boxes with no problems.
>
> We had ML 6 of AIX on and was happening with it too, upgraded to ML 7 for
> other reasons and no change.
>
> This is a new install, users not on system yet, Database is getting info from
> another system and apps are being developed to generate reports from this DB.
>
> Last night I disabled both backups and NO PAGING SPACE increase occured.
> One other bit of info (maybe confusing).  Using the svmon command, it seems
> to indicate that Sybase is the user of the growing paging space!
>
> Any ideas folks?  It is not obvious to me how a regular FS incremental can
> cause Sybase to use additional paging space.
>
> If no one has a solution I will open a ticket with Tivioli to start with and
> then proceed down the line one vendor at a time.
>
> Thanks for your head scratching,
>

> David B. Longo
> System Administrator
> Health First, Inc.
> 3300 Fiske Blvd.
> Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
> PH      321.434.5536
> Pager  321.634.8230
> Fax:    321.434.5525
> david.longo AT health-first DOT org
>

> "MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
>  annotations on 05/11/01 09:44:40
---
> This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain > This
> message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
> proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
> privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
> message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
> system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
> directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
> this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
> the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any
> views or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the
> individual sender, except (1) where the message states such views or opinions
> are on behalf of a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
> the entity to give such views or opinions.

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 05/15/01 10:23:46
---