ADSM-L

Re: AIX lv and dbvol

2001-05-11 03:55:03
Subject: Re: AIX lv and dbvol
From: Stephen Pole <stephenp AT PRTH.GEOBANK.PGS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:37:02 +0800
It's been a while since I've been here ... so here is my two cents worth.
On my site I have 4 lv's across 4 pdisks and these are split across our 4
SSA adaptors, split evenly across the two I/O buses of our system.  I did
the same thing for my disk storage pools as well as it saves a lot of disk
I/O contention (I hope)  I assume either AIX striping or SSA Raid Striping
or whatever....
Sooooo ... My initial reaction is to create the 5 logical volumes across 5
physical disks (ideally spilt across a number of adaptors) define the 5
dbvols across the 5 lvs, (I assume they are striped?).
We are about to re-look this ourselves with a new installation, I'd also
welcome any thoughts on this. ... All in please !

Cheers

Which is best for performance?
Create one AIX logical volume with 5 disk, then define 5 dbvol located in
the one lv.
OR
Create 5 AIX logical volume, 1 lv per disk, then define 5 dbvol - one per lv
.

Thanks for your help.  I am creating a new ADSM server and I want to get it
right this time. :>

Stephen Pole
PetroBank Operations Manager - Asia Pacific

Australia

Level 4
IBM Centre 1060 Hay Street
West Perth WA 6005
Australia

Phone +61 8 9320 9000
Fax     +61 8 9320 9090

Indonesia

PetroBank Indonesia
Wisma Pondok Indah, Level 12
Jl. Sultan Iskandar Muda V TA
Jakarta 12310
Indonesia

Telephone +62 21 769 6038
Facsmile    +62 21 769 8015

Mobile      +61 41 239 4435

email: stephenp AT prth.geobank.pgs DOT com
Web Adress : http://www.petrobankonline.com