ADSM-L

Re: Adic 1000 Lib with LTO under Win2k

2001-05-10 16:32:27
Subject: Re: Adic 1000 Lib with LTO under Win2k
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:02:51 -0500
Harald Wassmann wrote:
> I can't get an Adic Scalar 1000 Library with LTO drives working properly under
> TSM 4.1.3 on an Win2k Server.  I installed a new system Win2k SP1, Ibm Ultrium
> Driver Version 5.0.1.9 on a Compaq Server with Compaq 64-Bit/66 Mhz Dual
> Channel
> Wide Ultra 3 SCSI Adapters. I installted the IBM 3580 LTO Tapedriver Version
> 5.0.1.9, removed Removable Storage Service of Win2k.
> Win 2k shows the drives as IBM UTL3580 TD-1 scsi sequential device. The
> Changer
> is shown as an unknown medium changer device.
> Every two drives are connected in a chain with an own SCSI Controller, but on
> pair of this is also connected to the library device.
> The microcode of the LTO drives is 0BN1 and the library microcode is Version
> 4.00.
>
> When the library and drives are  defined I trie a label lib. The first tape is
> picked up, the barcode is read and the tape is placed in the drive. The label
> is
> written and the volume is checked in. The is ejected and the robot puts it
> back
> to the storage slot.
> Sometimes this also works for the second tape. But the third tape sometime the
> second isn't picked up by the robot to put it back to the storage slot after
> it
> has been labeled. The actlog shows that there was an problem to move the tape
> from the drive to the storage slot.
>
> I Tried this with all 6 tapes defined and also with only the two tapes defined
> that are connected to the same scsi controller as the library device.

Check to make sure that the physical drives are properly matched with
the element numbers you've assigned the TSM-defined drives. A rough read
of your message reminds me of at least two client sites where the person
who configured the drives assigned the first drive to the first element
number in the sequence, only to discover that the drive was not in the
physical location indicated by the element number.