ADSM-L

Re: LTO restore performance - seek problem?

2001-05-10 09:12:15
Subject: Re: LTO restore performance - seek problem?
From: Michael Hull <mhull AT UOTTAWA DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 09:12:03 -0400
Something else you could check.

We have been having the same kind of symptom on our 3590 B1A
drives.  In conjuction with the CE, we opened the covers on the
drive and physically watched what was happening.  To our surprise,
we saw that every so often the drive would decide that something
was wrong and would do a complete rewind/unload/load/forward-
wind, and then continue writing.  We are investigating this further to
see if the problem is the drive hardware/microcode or the media.

My point is that you should consider physically watching the drive.
It may give a hint as to why the long time when no data is
transferring.

Mike Hull               mhull AT uottawa DOT ca
Systems and Automation Analyst      613-562-5800 x 4587
Computer Centre        /  136 Jean-Jacques Lussier Room 543
University of Ottawa   /  Ottawa, Ontario   /  Canada   K1N 6N5