ADSM-L

Re: reclaim offsite stgpool volumes

2001-05-09 17:47:13
Subject: Re: reclaim offsite stgpool volumes
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 14:47:50 -0700

Robin,

I do eject "all" tapes every day. I have been keeping an eye on this and
from what I can tell this is not a true statement, as it relates to my
environment anyway.

Here is output from the following command; q vol * access=offsite f=d (I
took only one tape as an example)

                   Volume Name: U00531
             Storage Pool Name: OFFSITE_POOL
             Device Class Name: 3590CLASS
       Estimated Capacity (MB): 20,000.0
                      Pct Util: 0.0
                 Volume Status: Filling
                        Access: Offsite
        Pct. Reclaimable Space: 100.0
               Scratch Volume?: Yes
               In Error State?: No
      Number of Writable Sides: 1
       Number of Times Mounted: 1
             Write Pass Number: 1
     Approx. Date Last Written: 10/02/00 07:06:32
        Approx. Date Last Read: 10/02/00 07:03:19
           Date Became Pending:
        Number of Write Errors: 0
         Number of Read Errors: 0
               Volume Location: Arcus
Last Update by (administrator): GEOFF
         Last Update Date/Time: 10/02/00 14:11:57

Q volhist goes all the way back to February and does not show this tape
number. Unless I'm wrong it looks as though this tape has been in the
offsite pool since October of last year. Notice the percent util is 0.0. I
run a schedule that drops the threshhold "upd stg offsite_pool reclaim=60"
at 3:30PM  and back "upd stg offsite_pool reclaim=100" at 7:00PM, every day
of the week. Why has it taken so long for this volume to be reclaimed. At
the moment I have 76 filling volumes offsite that I wish would consolidate
to fewer.

Does anyone else have a similar situation going on? Is my reclamation not
running long enough?

Thanks,

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator