ADSM-L

Where are the solaris bare metal restore procedures for TSM 4.x ?????!!!!!!

2001-05-04 11:39:00
Subject: Where are the solaris bare metal restore procedures for TSM 4.x ?????!!!!!!
From: Keith Kwiatek <kkwiatek AT NIST DOT GOV>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 10:55:43 -0700
Hello,

I am trying to write some bare metal solaris restore instructions.....

With our old ADSM/TSM 3.x clients we were able to simply follow the
procedure below... BUT with the new TSM 4.1.2 client it seems they have
introduced dependancies that no longer make a "simple" restore possible....

What really concerns me is that I don' t see solaris bare metal restore
procedures coming form anyone (including TIVOLI!)

Our old restore instructions (which we are trying to recreate with TSM4.1.2)
are below:

 boot cdrom
 Complete "system identification" portion of Solaris Install
 Select "Exit" from "Install Solaris Software" screen
 run format and partition new disk

 # create filesystems

 newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0
 newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s1
 newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s6
 newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s7

 # make mount points for all filesystems and mount them

 mkdir -p /tmp/a/root /tmp/a/usr /tmp/a/export
 mkdir -p /tmp/a/export/home

 mount /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0 /tmp/a/root
 mount /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s6 /tmp/a/usr
 mount /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s7 /tmp/a/export/home

 # create a route to ADSM server

 route add net 129.6.xx.0 {default_route} 1

 # create a directory for dsmclient.cat
 # ftp a copy of minimal ADSM client software from ADSM server into /tmp

 cd /tmp
 mkdir /tmp/en_US
 ftp 129.xx.xx.xx - login as anonymous user
  cd pub/adsm/sun/sol26
  bin
  get dsmc
  get dsmclientV3.cat en_US/dsmclientV3.cat
  quit

 # create dsm.sys file

 echo servername ADSM > dsm.sys
 echo tcpserveraddress 129.6.23.13 >> dsm.sys
 echo nodename DIPPER.xxx.xxx >> dsm.sys

 # set DSM_DIR environment variable to point to location of dsmc, etc.

 DSM_DIR=/tmp
 export DSM_DIR

 # set execute permission on dsmc

 chmod 700 dsmc

 # restore all filesystems

 ./dsmc
  restore -subdir=y /* /tmp/a/root/
  enter ADSM password
  restore -subdir=y /usr/* /tmp/a/usr/
  restore -subdir=y /export/home/* /tmp/a/export/home/
  quit

 # make actual mount points

 mkdir /tmp/a/root/usr
 mkdir /tmp/a/root/export/home
 mkdir /tmp/a/root/dev/fd
 mkdir /tmp/a/root/proc
 mkdir /tmp/a/root/tmp

 # create device special files

 cd /tmp/a/root
 drvconfig -r devices -p /tmp/a/root/etc/path_to_inst
 devlinks -r /tmp/a/root
 disks -r /tmp/a/root
 tapes -r /tmp/a/root

 # install boot block

 installboot /tmp/a/usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk
/dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0

 # unmount filesystems and reboot the system

 cd /
 umount /tmp/a/root
 umount /tmp/a/usr
 umount /tmp/a/export/home