ADSM-L

AW: Copy storage pools

2001-05-04 02:55:07
Subject: AW: Copy storage pools
From: sal Salak Juraj <sal AT KEBA.CO DOT AT>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 08:55:19 +0200
Hallo Tomáš,

you could use storage standard storage pool hierarchy,
backing first to disk storage pool,
which later migrates to primary tape pool
(you probably already do this).

If your disk storage pool is large enough not to be migrated for, say,
couple of days,
than you can schedule
backup storage pool your_disk_storage_pool to your_tape_backup_pool
often. This will create the redundancy you wish.

When the data from disk storage pool are later
migrated to you primary tape storage pool,
there will not be any need to backup them again,
TSM will keep the link between those two copies.

I have four tape drives and I still use this technique in order to
minimise usage of the tapes and to speed things up.

For older backup data you already have in your tape storage pool
you could do  first
 move data some_tape stgpool your_disk_storage_pool,
then again backup and migration just as above.

Considering the prices of large disks this can be cheaper than having two
tape drives,
but I still do advice you: require second tape drive from your management.
System with only one tape is restricted in more ways (reclamation , no two
paralell restores possible,
single tape is single point of failure: no backup/restore if the tape does
not work, etc.)

regards
Šalak Juraj

KEBA AG