ADSM-L

Re: LTO restore performance - seek problem?

2001-05-03 12:06:09
Subject: Re: LTO restore performance - seek problem?
From: "Caffey, Jeff L." <jlcaffey AT PIER1 DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 11:01:58 -0500
John,

I am experiencing similar problems here.  My backup performance is
fantastic, but my restore performance is poor.  All my variables (server,
client, code levels, LTO, etc...) are similar to yours, except we're on
Gigabit Ethernet.  I've even tried eliminating the LTO's from the picture by
restoring from cached disk pools.  I recommend you try that yourself and see
if your performance changes.  Even though I tried that here, it didn't seem
to help much - so I don't think the LTO technology is the problem.

Even with using the disk pools for the source, I still see the long delays
like you see.  I've found some things that seem to slightly improve
performance IN A TEST ENVIRONMENT.  These things are:
 - performing multiple restores at the same time
 - restoring from a command line rather than the GUI
 - restoring entire volumes rather than individual files.
Obviously, you can't rely on those methods in the real world.   Tivoli
support hasn't given me a very good answer yet either...  They suggest that
TSM is looking through the database to decide what files to restore next.
Yeah, right...

This is (so far) my only real complaint about TSM.  But the whole reason we
do backups anyway is so we can restore, right...?  Please let me know what
you find out and I'll do the same for you.

Thank you,

Jeff Caffey
Enterprise Systems Programmer
(AIX & Storage Administrator)
Pier 1 imports, Inc.  -  Information Services
jlcaffey AT pier1 DOT com
Voice: (817) 252-6222
Fax:   (817) 252-7299