ADSM-L

TXNBytelimit increased (was Re: LTO Tape Drive Performance)

2001-05-02 14:07:30
Subject: TXNBytelimit increased (was Re: LTO Tape Drive Performance)
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 13:43:25 -0400
I read the performance report (url below); the performance of
3590's is impressive, but I am stuck with 9840's.

But this post isn't about tapes.  What caught my eye was this note in
the document:

Note: One of TSM's tuning parameters, transaction bytes (TXNbyte),
is set at 2 GB for the purposes
of these tests. Tivoli typically recommends this setting
rather than the default setting of 25 MB.

I always thought that 25600 was the limit for txnbyte  I looked in the 3.7 unix
client
manual on the tivoli web site and the limit is 25600.  Then I looked in the same
manual for 4.1 and sure enough, the limit is 2097152 (= 2 gig).

So I have some questions for Tivoli.  Did you annonce this change?
How are we supposed to find out about it?  The unix client manual for 4.1
does not have a summary of changes section.  Are we supposed to do a page
by page comparison of manuals between versions to find out what changes?

How much performance improvement is possible if I push my clients up to
2 Gig?

Where can I find a list of what else "Tivoli typically recommends"?
How come you haven't recommended this to me?

Come on guys, maybe coding the server and clients is rocket science,
but I doubt that producing the documentation is.

--