ADSM-L

Re: Upgrading space management client

2001-04-30 14:11:51
Subject: Re: Upgrading space management client
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:12:38 -0400
>We have an AIX system with 3.1.7.2 client code, including space
>management. We would like to upgrade the client code, probably to 4.1.2.  It
>is presumably not a good idea to have the client code running while the
>upgrade is in progress. All I have to do to get the backup/archive client
>code out of service is to kill the scheduler process. I am not sure what I
>have to do to get the space management code out of service.  The various
>README files distributed with 4.1.2 seem to be silent on this point. The
>manual for the space management client explains how to globally deactivate
>space management, but does not tell me whether doing so terminates all
>processes connected with space management or just tells the processes not to
>accept requests for service. Can anyone enlighten me on this point?

Thomas - It is essential to take down client services for the duration of
         the installation, which in the HSM case includes the HSM daemon
processes, which you could simply kill off.  There is also the HSM kernel
extension, as managed by installfsm (at least in ADSMv3).  From my notes:

installfsm                              HSM kernel extension management program,
                                        /usr/lpp/adsm/bin/installfsm, as invoked
                                        in /etc/rc.adsmhsm by /etc/inittab.
                                        Syntax:
                                        'installfsm [-l|-q|-u] Kernel_Extension'
                                        where:
                                        -l  Loads the named kernel extension.
                                        -q  Queries the named kernel extension.
                                        -u  Unloads the named kernel extension.
                                        Examples:  (be in client directory)
                                         installfsm -l kext
                                         installfsm -q kext
                                         installfsm -u kext

You could either unload it with that command, or reboot with the entry removed
from /etc/inittab.  I would recommend doing a deinstall of ADSM before an
install of TSM, as the TSM install is unlikely to do the deinstall you might
expect it to.

  Richard Sims, BU