ADSM-L

Re: 500GB Backup

2001-04-30 07:25:02
Subject: Re: 500GB Backup
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 07:25:39 -5
You're getting you terms mixed up.

9000 kB/s is 9MB/s, as you state.

A 100/mbps ethernet (fast ethernet) is bits-per-second,
not bytes-per second.  100mbps=10mB/s, so if your getting
9mB/s, your doing quite well.  This is your bottleneck.
To get faster you're going to need gigabit ethernet, which
is 1000mbps, or, 100mB/s.

I run dual gigabit connections into our tsm server, a
RS/6k-S7A.  IBM's adapters seem to max out at around
30-35mB/s, or 20,000-25,000 packets-per-second.  As
soon as we get a new switch that supports jumbo
packets (9k ethernet packets) I expect to see the
packets-per-second drop and the throughput increase
for clients that also have gigabit connections.

Rick