ADSM-L

Tape Swapping

2001-04-26 04:30:03
Subject: Tape Swapping
From: ML FB6 - Tivoli Storage Manager <TSM AT WWINFO.WIWI.UNI-WUPPERTAL DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:30:47 +0200
Hello fellow *SMers,

in our small environment we back up 3 WinNT 4.0 SP5 server systems with TSM
client 4.1.2.12 to a TSM 4.1.2.1 server on WinNT with an ADIC Faststore 22
Autoloader. Our daily incremental backups go first do a disk storage pool on
the TSM server. All 3 WinNT servers are associated to one schedule
DAILY_INCREMENTAL with a 1 hour start up window. The backup processes spend
most of the time looking for changed files. The overall amount of backed up
data is 1-3 GB per night.

During the backup process the TSM server mounts a tape in the ADIC every
time one of the server systems start some activity. This happens in
intervals of 2-4 minutes. These are by far too many tape mounts.

The questions is WHY?
The backup is supposed to go to disk, not to tape, so i expect to see NO or
at least reduced tape activity.

If this is a lack of knowledge on my part i will take your RTM
recommendations. If not any help is appreciated.

With kindest regards

Volker
----
Volker Arendt                            Volker Arendt
  mailto:arendt AT wiwi.uni-wuppertal DOT de
Gaußstr. 20                                            Tel : +49(202)4392448
42097 Wuppertal, Deutschland                           Fax:  +49(202)4392448
Bergische Universität Wuppertal - Fachbereich Wirtschaftswissenschaft (FB 6)
Lehrstuhl für rechnergestütztes Controlling
----