ADSM-L

Re: Error after upgrading to Tsm3.7.2

2001-04-25 07:41:36
Subject: Re: Error after upgrading to Tsm3.7.2
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:42:20 -0400
>Has anyone seen the following error:
>ANS9281E Space management kernel extension is downlevel from the user
>program.
>This error occured after upgrading from Adsm 3.1.8 to Tsm 3.7.2 IP21929 -
>which is the latest fix level on the 3.7 code.
>Where does the Space mgmt kernel extension come from - AIX (OS) or from the
>Tsm code. I see there is a HSM client(Busy downloading), but surely if I
>don't use Hsm on this box I shouldn't have to install the Hsm client ?
>
>The error occurs when I run a normal incr.
>The server is WinNT running 3.7.0 Tsm server code.

Christo - Feel free to browse http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts
          for accumulated real-world explanations of various TSM messages.
In this case:

ANS9281E Space management kernel extension is downlevel from the server program.
        Encountered when a new level of the HSM software was installed over a
        live HSM system - a bad thing to do.  See: installfsm

The Space Manager is a *SM invention.  The kernel extension is loaded by the
/etc/rc.adsmhsm script (a symlink to ADSM's /usr/lpp/adsm/rc.adsmhsm), as
invoked by /etc/inittab's "adsmsmext" entry.  You can see if ADSM HSM is
installed by doing 'lslpp -l "adsm*"' in AIX, or something similar on other
platforms.  Don't expect a TSM install to automatically remove ADSM software,
which is to say that your system was probably running HSM before, and that
the TSM 3.7 you installed is probably there in addition to the old ADSM code.
When installing a TSM client, always be careful to pick the components you
really want - don't automatically install everything just because it's there.

  Richard Sims, BU