ADSM-L

TDP for Domino

2001-04-19 16:13:40
Subject: TDP for Domino
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:19:35 -0500
I posted a question back in March about why a customer might not be
getting backups of all changed Lotus Domino files using TDP. I finally
got an answer from Tivoli. If this is in the TDP documentation, *I*
missed it:

When running incremental backups of Domino files, the only way that an
incremental backup will get all changed .nsf files is if logging is
completely turned off. If archival logging is on[1], TDP will only
backup .nsf files that have a database ID number that is different than
the one it had when the file was last backed up.[2] The only way to do
an complete incremental backup of .nsf files is to backup the
transaction logs.

This behavior would explain the circumstance of those who send posts to
this list complaining that Domino is only backing up a few of the many
.nsf files that should be backed up.

All of the above is not true if you're doing selective backups, BTW.

[1] Incremental backups using TDP will not work at all if circular
logging (Domino's default state, of course) is turned on.
[2] Database ID numbers are reassigned only when the database is
manipulated, such as a compaction, or when the Domino server is
rebooted. This would explain why the first incremental backup after a
reboot 'works'.