ADSM-L

TSM cold backups

2001-04-19 07:21:05
Subject: TSM cold backups
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 07:20:13 -5
As our TSM Database grows, were hitting the inevitable question
of how big to let the db grow vs purchasing and bringing up another
TSM instance.  We're not there yet, but we can see this on the
horizon.
The issues isn't TSM performance, but db backup/recovery.  This got
me thinking (always a dangerous thing exercise), does anyone use cold
backups for their TSM db?

In other words, does anyone shutdown their TSM instance, make some
kind of backup of the TSM db and related files, and then bring
the db back up?  Another method would be to use EMC BCVs or IBM Shark
FlashCopy to enable a very short shutdown-split-restart-backup
system, like we use for critical databases?

My thought is that it would be much faster to backup and restore the
actual DB files than use TSM's normal backup.

Better yet, is there any way to just copy the TSM db while it is
live?  SOmething like Oracle's Hot backup?

Just thinking out loud . . . .

Rick