ADSM-L

Archive/Management Class/Schedule

2001-04-18 09:15:46
Subject: Archive/Management Class/Schedule
From: Maura Adams <adamsmu AT BC DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:02:30 -0400
Good Morning,

I'm new to the listserv (first posting) and am fairly new to TSM.  We
have TSM version 3.7 operating on an aix 4.3.3 platform.  I have
searched the adsm archives  on problems with running archives and
management classes.  I think I may have confused myself more.

There is one particular filesystem that I am trying to both backup and
archive at different times.  I run a daily backup and  weekly and
monthly archives on this filesystem.  The filesystem is included in the
exclude.fil file, actually I have it listed three times in that file,
each with a different Management class associated with it.  Two of the
management classes only have an archive copy group in it (for my
weekly/monthly archives) and the other management class has a backup
copy group.  I have 3 different schedules (daily, weekly, monthly) that
run.  The daily backup is running fine but I get error messages
regarding any archive.  The error message reads "Invalid Archive Copy
Group".   I went back and removed the archive copy groups and created
backup copy groups to look like archives and placed the weekly and
monthly tsm backup commands in crontab (with the desired management
class name).  The backup (that looks like an archive) worked.

I have no idea why I can't get the real archives to work on that
filesystem.  I read where a file can only be bound to one management
class.  If this is true why did my test work when I backed up the
filesystem in crontab using the new backup copy groups under the new
management classes?  Can I run a scheduled archive using a management
class listed within the exclude file?  I have read the TSM admin guide
and the redbook and haven't found any data to help me out.

Thanks so much.

regards,
Maura Adams

--