ADSM-L

Re: Should LOADDB take this long?

2001-04-16 11:16:02
Subject: Re: Should LOADDB take this long?
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:16:40 -0400
Quoting William Boyer <wboyer AT PTD DOT NET>:

> TSM 3.7.3.0 running on OS/390 2.9
>
> Last night our automated processes to shut the system down didn't take
> into
> account that TSM would take a few extra minutes to halt due to
> reclamation
> running. The automation script ended up taking TCPIP and CA-TLMS and
> DFSMSRmm (in warn mode) down while TSM was still up and trying to close
> out
> his tape processing. TSM ended up abending with a EC6. After our
> downtime,
> TSM wouldn't come back up. It would sit there in a CPU loop with no I/O.
> The
> last message in the joblog was "ANR0306I Recovery log volume mount in
> progress." WOuld come up any farther.
[Material deleted]
> Also, if anyone has any ideas on how I could have averted having to do
> the
> DUMP/LOADDB processes I would be more than happy to hear them. I just
> couldn't think of any way to bypass the recovery log processing during
> startup, or to have the load cleared by itself.

We have a TSM server, and used to have exactly the combinatation of
release levels mentioned above. One day we did a system IPL and were
unable to bring up the TSM server. There was no sign of trouble with
the shutdown before the IPL, but the TSM initialization failure was
just as described above. We called IBM and were advised to upgrade
the server code to 3.7.4.0. We downloaded the code from an IBM FTP
server, installed it, and were able to bring up the TSM server.