ADSM-L

Restoring AIX (was Restoring Linux and Solaris)

2001-04-11 22:27:18
Subject: Restoring AIX (was Restoring Linux and Solaris)
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:07:43 +1000
I've got a similar query to those restoring Solaris and Linux but re AIX.

It annoys me that while I have a full TSM backup of the AIX rootVG I can't use
it. The bare metal redbook is no use, it just says to use mksysb

I've come up with a process which almost works assuming two bootable disks are
available
1. Restore a standard mksysb image, which includes the TSM client to one disk
2. Run the alt_disk_install command phases 1 & 2 to set up an alternate rootvg
and restore the most recent mksysb for the box (this is just to get filesystem
sizes).
3. Use standard TSM commands to restore the / /usr /var /home filesystems on
the alternate disk to the latest TSM backup
4. run alt_disk_install phase 3 to setup the restored  system for boot
5. boot from alternate.
6. clean up bootstrap disk
7. remirror rootvg

Unfortunately step 4 fails as the alt_disk_install command plays with the
alternate ODM in phases 1 & 2, but I revert to the original ODM in 3.
I need to restore the original ODM because minor details like software
installations are kept there.

I really think that this process can be made to work if I could just save the
appropriate bits of the ODM at 2.1 and put them back at 3.1.  The question is
what are the appropriate bits?

Any AIX experts with good ODM knowledge out there?

Regards

Steve Harris
AIX and ADSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia