ADSM-L

Re: Backup Policy

2001-04-08 19:35:15
Subject: Re: Backup Policy
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:35:49 +1000
Salam,

TSM doesn't work this way.
To do exactly what you want you need to run archives weekly and monthly with
the right archive management classes to keep the data as you desire.

Alternatively on the server, on that 7th/28th day copy the file to another
directory with a management class (specified the include/exclude list) that
keeps the file for the retentions that you want.  It could be scripted to copy,
backup then delete.

If it were me, I'd  probably do verexsists unlimited, verdeleted unlimited,
retextra 28, retonly 28 and run a monthly archive. This will be close to what
you want, but may not be suitable for very large backups.

Regards

Steve Harris
AIX and ADSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane, Australia

>>> ABDULSALAM ABDULLA <salam AT DUBAL.CO DOT AE> 08/04/2001 14:30:00 >>>
I think I did ask this question once back, but didn't receive any feedback,
please let me know if you can help.

I want to write a backup policy to backup my filesystems for 7 versions.  On
the 7th day I want that copy to be moved to the save box with retention of
28 days.  The 8th day will over write the first day, and so on.  But again
by the end of the forth week on 28th day, I want this copy to be kept in
save for one year.  Also I need to keep one copy of any deleted file for the
period.
How can I do that? What will be the value of the following options? Please
let me know if any other options required setting.

Backup Retention (Grace Period)
Versions Data Exists
Versions Data Deleted
Retain Extra Versions