ADSM-L

Re: Long Term Archive for Databases

2001-04-06 12:22:57
Subject: Re: Long Term Archive for Databases
From: Kai Hintze <kai_hintze AT ALBERTSONS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:08:28 -0600
It's not our job to tell the business what they can and cannot back up. On
the other hand, sometimes when we present them with the cost--be sure to
include the cost of maintaining the current tape library plus the new ones
you will need by then--they realize that might be a better way to keep the
information they really need.

I strongly second the suggestion that if they do think they need the whole
database that it be dumped to ascii flat files so that you have a chance of
reading it 7 years from now. Be sure to include the downtime on the database
to create a consistent dump in your cost estimate.

Kai.

"Text processing has made it possible to right-justify any idea, even one
which cannot be justified on any other grounds." -- J. Finnegan, USC

On Thursday, April 05, 2001 10:48 AM, Jim Taylor asked: