ADSM-L

Re: RAID5 or 0+1

2001-04-04 17:11:33
Subject: Re: RAID5 or 0+1
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:09:17 -0500
Hi,

it is impossible for anyone to guess what might work better in your situation,
however, if you are seeing a high disk busy % (%tm_act is high, close to 100),
the amount being transferred is low (maybe 1 or 2 MB's per second for reads)
then RAID 10 will be fast than RAID 5. (RAID 5 writes are very slow.)

My ADSM database and log are on one SSA RAID 1 array, the combined size is not
more than 9 GB, so I have two 9 GB drives for the database and log. This works
very well.

For comparison: my expire inventory examines about 1000 objects / second

Other perf and tuning considerations:
confirm your configuration settings, like: tcpwindow_size, txnbyte_limit, etc
have you tried tuning vmtune? This can have drastic affects both ways
are you using SSA disks? do you have the fast write cache?

How long does it take to back up your database?

Miles

----------------
Miles Purdy
Miles Purdy
System Manager
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557
----------------
>>> rdearm1 AT UIC DOT EDU 04-Apr-01 3:02:00 PM >>>
>>> rdearm1 AT UIC DOT EDU 04-Apr-01 3:02:00 PM >>>
I have been seeing high memory utilization and high disk busy problems on
the disks that my database sits on when I do backups.   I'm running AIX
4.3.3 with in a H70 with 2 cpu's and 1gb of memory.  I was thinking of
moving my tsm database to a RAID 0+1 setup from a RAID5 setup to see if I
gain any performance.  Does anyone have any suggestions on database
performance issuses.

Thanks
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and are
addressed.   If you are not the intended recipient or the individual
responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken
in reliance on it, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail
in error, please delete it and notify the sender or contact Health
Information  Management (312) 996-3941.