ADSM-L

Re: Can't Get New MGMTCLASS to Work

2001-03-29 09:26:42
Subject: Re: Can't Get New MGMTCLASS to Work
From: Louis Wiesemann <ljwies01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:27:07 -0500
Are you saying that the VALIDATE is actually a required step?  I thought that
it just verified the policyset was acceptable for activation, but did not
really do anything else.  I also thought the ACTIVATE did a validation as part
of its process.  Since I had copied mgmtclass and copybooks from existing ones
and was confident they were correct, I just did the ACTIVATE.  It worked
without any problem.  Then I had the client stop and start their scheduler
process and update their dsm.opt file for the INCLUDE pointing to the new
mgmtclass.  So, is the VALIDATE really required to make this work?

Thanks

-------------------------------------
Louis J. Wiesemann
502-852-8952Louis J. Wiesemann
502-852-8952

   http://monica.cin.org:81/guest/RemoteListSummary/daily_word

>>> wcmge AT WOOLWORTHS.CO DOT ZA 03/29/01 04:15AM >>>
        Hi
        remember that when you make changes to your policy set, you must first
validate it before activating it.

Also if you are using the include exclude list, you must insert this list into
your dsm.sys file.

Author:  mezron (mezron AT HOTMAIL DOT COM) at MM
Date:    29/03/2001 01:10 AM

Run a "select * from backups where node_name='NODENAME'" from
the TSM administrative prompt.  Find out what management class is
being used.  If the management class is DEFAULT, then either the include
statement doesn't match the objects being backed up, the management class
does not exists in the active policy for the nodes domain.  The management
class may not exist because there was a syntax error in the include
statement, the policy was not activated, or the node does not belong to the
domain where you put the new mgmtclass.

For trouble shooting post the following.
q node NODENAME  (replace nodename with the appropriate value)
q mgmtclass DOMAIN active (replace domain with the domain from q node)
dsm.opt (from the node having the problem)

James Thompson