ADSM-L

Performance from an OS/390 Mainframe to an AIX box

2001-03-28 12:04:34
Subject: Performance from an OS/390 Mainframe to an AIX box
From: Greg Roschel <ROSCHELG AT BCBSIL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:47:17 -0600
I'm new to this list, so excuse my ignorance in asking this question which may
have already been kicked around.  We are having performance problems doing
backups from several AIX boxes to an OS/390 mainframe.  We've looked at the
network and tons of other things.  To make a long question short, we've
determined that the problem is that an AIX box will only do 5 GByte per second
ESCON channel connected - - we believe this is the weak link in the chain, so
to speak, causing our "ADSM backups take too long" & "ADSM backups not using
all the available bandwidth" problems.  However, we are getting conflicting and
widely varying info on this 5 GByte/second number.  Is 5 GByte/second really
the max an AIX box can do ESCON channel connected to whatever? Can anyone point
me to an ADSM tuning document or whatever which addresses issues like this?