ADSM-L

Re: Admin schedule to Backup DB does not start

2001-03-24 16:39:23
Subject: Re: Admin schedule to Backup DB does not start
From: "Talafous, John G." <Talafous AT TIMKEN DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 16:39:57 -0500
Yes, the compelling reason is to have the backups of storage pools complete,
hopefully, by 9:00AM. Then the scheduled launch of a database backup at
10:00AM would coincide nicely with DRM processing and the resultant ejection
of tapes from an ATL.

But, if clients send more data than anticipated..... Oh my!  I run into the
situation that the earlier ADMIN schedule does not complete soon enough. (I
have changed the BACKUP_DB schedule to have an eight (8) hour startup
window). This should help.

Another reason is an attempt to keep the number of tape drives utilized by
administrative schedules and migration tasks at an INSTALLATION_MAX_DRIVES-1
to permit random client restores to have at least one drive available.
(Note: INSTALLATION_MAX_DRIVES is a variable applicable to any situation.)

Is the problem not having an EVENT driven scheduler available to TSM? (ie:
When storage pool X drains to zero, why can't I launch a backup of storage
pool x-tape to x-copy?) Or, can I?

Thanks in advance,
John G. Talafous              IS Technical Principal
The Timken Company            Global Software Support
P.O. Box 6927                 Data Management
1835 Dueber Ave. S.W.         Phone: (330)-471-3390
Canton, Ohio USA  44706-0927  Fax  : (330)-471-4034
talafous AT timken DOT com           http://www.timken.com