ADSM-L

3590 on AIX Platform

2001-03-23 11:37:53
Subject: 3590 on AIX Platform
From: Sam Schrage <sam.schrage AT TRW DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:23:47 -0600
I have 2 3590 tape drives on a 3494 Tape library connected to my AIX
platform via an ESCON channel adapter.  The ESCON link attaches to a
s390-A50 on the 3494 side. I am not sharing the library--I have the 2
drives varied offline to the 3494.

I have the tapes configured to the AIX platform and can use them, ie., I
tested with 'tar' and/or 'dd' commands.  I defined the drive on AIX side as
/dev/rmt8 and the 'lsdev' command sees them as a 3590 tape drives.

I cannot get TSM 4.1.2 to see them.   When I define the DEVCLASS
DEVTYPE=3590, no problem.  I define LIBRARY as LIBTYPE=MANUAL, no problem.
I define DRIVE as DEVICE=/dev/rmt8, no problem.  But when I  QUERY DRIVE
the drive shows up as CARTRIDGE and when I try to EXPORT a NODE, I get a
message, via Q PROC, that TSM is  "waiting for mount point in device class
3590EXP" and nothing happens.

Any ideas?