ADSM-L

Re: Cleaning Carts

2001-03-23 10:00:03
Subject: Re: Cleaning Carts
From: Allen Barth <allen_barth AT SCUDDER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:59:44 -0600
Richard is correct in once a "cart" is ejected from the 3494, the vol info
is deleted from the 3494 database.  However, both our operators and I have
re-inserted 'used up, ejected' cleaner carts and the 3494 happily uses them
again.  So the question then becomes "Are these cleaner carts doing
anything usefull?"

Al Barth
Zurich Scudder Investments

                    Richard Sims
                    <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>         To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    "ADSM: Dist          Subject:     Re: Cleaning Carts
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    03/22/01
                    12:01 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

>Now that I have to insert a new cartridge I was wondering if the library
>manager knows if these two other cartridges are used up if I end up
sticking
>one back in that may have just came out. Does the library manager keep
track
>of the barcode numbers on these in case someone happens to do this? Will
the
>library manager even take the cartridge if it is used  up? I found a
>cartridge and want to stick it in but don't know if it is new or not.

Geoff - Your Library Manager seems to be a lot more effective than your
        Operations Manager...
When tapes are ejected via the Library Manager, they are considered gone as
far as it is concerned, so it disposes of its database entries and stats
for such volumes.  Your "avail 3590 cleaner cycles" value is zero,
hence such such a disposal has occurred.  As far as I know, there is
nothing intrinsic to a 3590 cleaning tape which records uses.  (Some
other tape technologies embed a writable/readable chip in the cartridge,
which might facilitate such record-keeping in their environments.)
So if you re-insert a used cleaning cartridge, I'd expect it to start
over on it - not that I've tried this myself.  One recourse might be
to go to the 3494 operator station and go through its internal logs
(easy to do) and search on your cleaner cartridge prefix (typically,
"CLN") to possibly identify which of your cleaning cartridges had been
in there.  (I'm at home with no 3494 here to try it on, but I seem to
recall from prior log inspection that the cleaning cartridges show up
there.)

  Richard Sims, BU