ADSM-L

Expiration Problem - Upgrade to TSM v.4.1.2.0

2001-03-23 09:14:38
Subject: Expiration Problem - Upgrade to TSM v.4.1.2.0
From: LYNN HAMILTON <LYNN.HAMILTON AT SELECTIVE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:08:00 -0500
--- Received from SIG.HAMILTL LYNN HAMILTON                  03/23/01  908a
08a

Our ADSM server is running on an MVS OS/390 mainframe.  Our ADSM clients
are Novell file servers (Netware OS v.4.11 and 4.2).  We are upgrading our
ADSM server from ADSM v.3.1.2.50 to TSM v.4.1.2.0 and we are upgrading our
Novell clients from ADSM v.3.1.0.6 to TSM v.4.1.2.0.

Most of our Novell clients are located at remote locations.  Because the
upgrade involves a full incremental we have to find a way to minimize the
upgrade time, otherwise a full incremental over the WAN could take several
weeks.  We thought that we would exclude (in the dsm.opt file) a large
population of directories and files during the upgrade.

During the first test upgrade, we saw massive expiration of objects on our
Novell clients.  We noticed that the files that were expiring were bound to
a management class backup copy group that is defined to keep all versions
of active files forever (no limit) and to keep only the last 2 versions on
deleted files.  So, we updated the management class backup copy group to
keep all versions of active and deleted files forever (no limit).
We re-ran the upgrade and still the files continue to expire.

Any helpful hints on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Lynn Hamilton
Selective Insurance
lynn.hamilton AT selective DOT com