ADSM-L

Re: SAP and 3494 performance.

2001-03-21 12:12:06
Subject: Re: SAP and 3494 performance.
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:12:34 -0700
        When the migrations run, it actually works a little different than
most people expect, and you never really notice it unless you have a TSM
server being dominated by a few VERY large hosts.

        This is the way I see migrations working:

1. Looks at the high threshhold, has it been reached?
2. If it has, look at the migproc number ( say it's set to 5).
3. Which client has the most data in the stgpool to be migrated?
4. Start a migration process for that client's data.
5. Which client has the 2nd largest amount of data?
6. Start a migration process for that client' data.
7. etc. etc. until the 5 migration processes are started OR all the client's
with data in the stgpool have a migration started for their data.

        In the case were you only have 1 client very large client on a TSM
server (as in our case with a very big VMS cluster with many TB of data),
the above process gets to #5, sees there is no other clients with data in
the diskpool and stops spawning off processes.

        So, the dilemma we are discussing is that you only get one migration
process running to one tape, when you may have many processes on the client
shoving data into the diskpool faster than it can be siphoned off with one
tape drive.

        There are other ways to correct this behavior. Here, we have
discussed like using a 'virtualnode' scheme so it would backup different
types of disks under different node names and then be able to start multiple
migrations, but that makes a more manual restore process and would be more
difficult to maintain.

        We have just lived with the migration problem, but this may be a
solution to improve performance.

Ben Bullock
Unix system manager
Micron Technology Inc.