ADSM-L

Re: Server-to-server

2001-03-20 13:11:36
Subject: Re: Server-to-server
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:09:52 -0600
ANother thing you might wish to do is set your virtual volume size to either
something really big (like 1 TB) or as big as a tape on your remote
server... (I've used 10 GB and 1024 GB and sent the data compressed) and
actually I tried to keep reclamation from running on virtual volumes...
Now sometimes this can be a neat thing across the room... like I had an atl
become unavailable and I didn't notice it until scratch tape mount denied
with migration process yadayadayada I had a full diskpool and TONS of
inbound clients... I had another server with an empty 300 GB diskpool so I
real quick set up virtual volumes pointed my diskpool next to a stgpool
using virtvols on the other server, set it to 30 or 40 mounts and let the
inbound clients (in a real round about way) get their stuff done... then
once the atl was straightened out I straightened things out with move data
commands...

I also had a special need to put stuff on a Houston TX server offsite (temp
basis, small amount of data) so I stuck it on a tsm server up in Chicago IL.

Things are only as fast as your bandwidth...

Also, you need to be able to keep multiple streams going to utilize your
bandwidth if it is a solid 100 Mb/sec or faster...
a single backup stgpool won't keep a 100Mb/sec link busy between two tsm
servers, but say you have a stgpool with multiple migration processes or
multiple pools with multiple migrations each or multiple pools doing backup
stgpool actions, etc...
(and I have to wonder about the NT's ability but I've always been an AIX
kind'a guy)

Dwight