ADSM-L

Re: Size returned by q vol and q occup don't match.

2001-03-19 11:45:29
Subject: Re: Size returned by q vol and q occup don't match.
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:46:02 -0500
Dias, Bill (GTIWHQ) wrote, in part..
>         Our current level of  ADSM 3.1.2.50.    I know, tell the bean
> counters.   We wanted to know how much storage was being used by different
> parts of the system, so I wrote a PERL script to retrieve the information.
> For s... and giggles I added some processing for q occup.  Surprise!  They
> don't match.  Ok, I understand when the sizes returned by the q vol command
> are smaller than the those returned by the q occup it is because tapes are
> checked out of the library.   Most of the time the q vol size is larger than
> the q occup size.  Why?? I would have expected equal values.

Wild (completely speculation) guess:

Maybe this is an artifact of "small file aggregation", where for many
operations *SM treats a block of files as an entity.  That is, *maybe*
QUERY VOL size is measuring aggregate size, whereas QUERY
OCCUP size is measuring unexpired data size. (Some of the
aggregates contain expired file data).

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith                          ADSM AT Maine DOT edu
ADSM Technical Coordinator - UNET       University of Maine System