ADSM-L

Re: TSM 4.1.1, WinNT 4.0 SP6a, San Data Gateway, and IBM 3584 LTO Lib rary

2001-03-14 17:38:34
Subject: Re: TSM 4.1.1, WinNT 4.0 SP6a, San Data Gateway, and IBM 3584 LTO Lib rary
From: "Caffey, Jeff L." <jlcaffey AT PIER1 DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:39:06 -0600
I have 3 FC connections from my TSM server (AIX) and one from each (3) SDG
into my McData SAN Director (ED-5000).  All of those (6) connections are in
a zone by themselves.  It sounds to me that Jay's problem might be that the
control path to the 3584 library is going across each LTO drive instead of
just the first drive.  But Becky is right...  You should see each device on
each fibre channel adapter.

EXAMPLE:  In my situation (see original reply below) I see 19 devices (15
LTO drives, 3 LTO libraries, and one 8mm tape drive).  Since the 8mm drive
is direct-attached-SCSI, I should see only one.  Since I have 3 FCAs into
the SAN, I should see all the other devices three times (once for each FCA).
I really just have one library with five drives in it.

Jay, if you are seeing one library for each drive, I'd start looking at the
library for issues.  The 3584 library should use the first drive as the
control path between the library and the operating system.  This is fine as
long as that first drive doesn't have SCSI problems...  If THAT happens (or
if you lose the FCA that controls that first drive) you could lose the whole
library (like I did last week).

Am I understanding this correctly...?  You have ONE 2108 running FOUR drives
that live in ONE library... right...?  If so, and you see four libraries AND
four drives, your control path HAS to be going across each drive.

Jeff

P.S. - Are you in the 817 area code?