ADSM-L

Re: SQL BackTrack... Odd Problem with device files

2001-03-14 15:08:00
Subject: Re: SQL BackTrack... Odd Problem with device files
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:08:30 -0500
>AIX 4.3.2. TSM 3.7.3.6 client 3.7.2 Informix server 7.3.1 UC2
>
>I am having a problem that may or may not be related to TSM... This morning, a
>production server running Lawson with an Informix database locked up. All
>device
>files in /dev and two other files in my client BMC SQL-BackTrack for Informix
>path were GONE...

That's dramatic.  If nothing else, check your AIX Error Log, /var/adm/messages,
and other logs.  Also inspect your AIX accounting records for the period: if
a shell script was doing the deed, you'll likely see one or more 'rm' commands
reflected.  Make sure that /dev is writable only by user root and group
system, which limits the culprits.  Assure that your root file system is not
running out of space.  Look for unusual logins around that time: you could
have someone maliciously deleting things.

  Richard Sims, BU