ADSM-L

Re: SAN Solution

2001-03-14 00:13:58
Subject: Re: SAN Solution
From: Suad Musovich <suad AT CCU1.AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 18:14:27 +1300
On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 07:47:11AM -0800, Gill, Geoffrey L. wrote:
> I've been asked to investigate a SAN solution and wonder if someone can give
> me some info. Currently we are backing up over the network to TSM 4.1.2.0
> which runs on an H50, AIX 4.3.3 with an automated 3494. If anyone is
> currently configured and running could you drop me a line please. I'd like
> to know what the initial cost was, if you had a similar setup, how much
> trouble was it to change? Will I have to "redo" my current TSM installation?
> Should I start with a new installation of TSM altogether and then migrate
> the data? What extra hardware/software, over and above what I have now, is
> involved?

You shouldn't have to change the TSM setup as the 3494 tapes will still be
seen as SCSI devices, perhaps with different device numbers.

Extra hardware (apart from Fibre Switches/Hubs):
        - SCSI/Fibre Gateway (we use 2108s, have up to 4 SCSI ports each)
        - FC host adapter card for your H50

Cost: Our prices in NZ are very different

Cheers, Suad