ADSM-L

Offsite tapes expiration

2001-03-13 14:00:53
Subject: Offsite tapes expiration
From: "Braich, Raminder" <raminder.braich AT DAVEY DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:01:24 -0500
The landscape:
  IBM 3494 with 4 3590 drives
  Server TSM 4.1.2 on WIN 2000
  Client        TSM 4.1.1 on WIN NT
        We are not using DRM. However we do have a macro that checks all the
tapes which were written to go offsite , ejects the tapes and marks them
offsite. This is working fine except that the offsite tapes seldom become
empty. We have two domain which are backed up SAP R/3 and all the other NT
machines. For R/3 the backups are supposed to be kept for 360 days and for
NT machines for 30 days. The expiration process runs everyday and
reclamation process runs every weekend.
   It has been over two months since we implemented TSM server 4.1.2 and
only six tapes have become empty till date. The combined data for R/3 is
about 700GB. Tapes are added constantly to the library since they are not
being emptied. Can someone please tell me which parameters should I be
looking at in order to get the tapes back. Or if there are any good
documentation.

Thanks
Raminder Braich