ADSM-L

Why do backups have two sessions?

2001-03-12 11:48:04
Subject: Why do backups have two sessions?
From: "Brazner, Bob" <Bob.Brazner AT JCI DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 10:47:57 -0600
Many of my nodes appear to always initiate two sessions whenever I do a
backup.  It appears all the client data is being transferred to the TSM
server via one of the sessions (as I would expect).  The other session just
sits in "IdleW" status and racks up a few hundred or thousand bytes
sent/received.  Occasionaly, I'll see a situation where, let's say, 2K
bytes have been received, but 10 times that have been sent.  Can anyone
tell me what this second session is doing?  Does it have something to do
with "client owner"?  Note, we do not run the web backup-archive client.
System is recently TSM 4.1 (on AIX 4.3.3), but I noticed this happening on
ADSM 3.1.2.0. Clients I've seen this on range from 3.1.0.7, to 3.7, to
4.1.2.  Please cc me directly on any reply to the listserv.  Thanks.

Bob Brazner
Johnson Controls, Inc.
(414) 524-2570
bob.brazner AT jci DOT com