ADSM-L

Re: Archive of file lists

2001-03-09 17:27:39
Subject: Re: Archive of file lists
From: Scotty Logan <swl AT STANFORD DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 14:11:06 -0800
Jim,

Richard Sims' 2/23/2001 message [Message-ID:
<200102231221.HAA62316 AT fserv2.bu DOT edu>] mentioned the 20 file limit on
the dsmc archive,delete and selective commands (see the help for
ANS1102E).

If you're on Unix (or have the Cygnus or MKS tools on Windows) you can
use xargs to work around this limitation.

  xargs -n 20 dsmc archive OPTIONS < filelist

will sequentially start dsmc archive processes.

To run the archives in parallel you'd have to do something like:

  xargs -n 20 dsmc archive OPTIONS < filelist | sed 's/$/ \&' >
archive.sh
  sh archive.sh

or define a script archive:

  #! /bin/sh
  exec dsmc archive OPTIONS $* &

and run

  xargs -n 20 archive < filelist

Note that with this method you can also pass dsmc options through xargs:

  xargs -n 20 archive -se=testserver < filelist

Hope this helps,

  Scotty

--
Scotty Logan, ITSS