ADSM-L

Informix Onbar bug ?

2001-03-09 08:09:36
Subject: Informix Onbar bug ?
From: Glenn MacIntosh <glenn.macintosh AT SOBEYS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:00:30 -0500
Hi all,

   We are experiencing problems backing up our informix databases (version
724UC5X8).  It seems (according to a trace that I've done) that the onbar
process is not properly estimating the size of the db chunk that it wants to
back up.  What seems to be happening is that rootdbs gets backed up first
(with the correct size estimate), then when the onbar process continues with
the db0 chunk, it simply uses the same size estimate as the rootdbs.    What
is sometimes happening is that the size estimate directs the backup to the
disk pool, but since the estimate is faulty, there is not enough room in the
disk pool.

   I could send these backups directly to a tape pool, but we have
many(20-30) small (1-3G) databases, and would prefer to fix the problem.
Has anyone else ran into this problem ?    I've noticed that someone was
using SQL Backtrack for Informix backups.  Is this why ?  (Or simply the
ability to parallelize the backups).

   Running TSM server 4.1.0 and client 4.1.2

Thanks,

   Glenn

Glenn MacIntosh
Manager of Technical Services