ADSM-L

Re: Antwerp: Re: TSM and Windows Installer Problems

2001-03-07 09:04:37
Subject: Re: Antwerp: Re: TSM and Windows Installer Problems
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:04:55 -0500
I had this problem with TSM 4.1.0.0 client on NT 4.0.  The README on the  CD
states that to solve you have to copy the "disk1" from the CD to your local
harddrive and then edit the setup.ini file in it to change "disk space" from
8000MB to 0000MB.  Then do install from the "disk1" on local drive. That worked
here.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5525
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> Jack.Palmadesso AT SWPC.SIEMENS DOT COM 03/07/01 07:46AM >>>
We've had many problems with the windows installer with many programs.  On
random machines when installing the new TSM client code I'll get and error
saying to increase the disk space requirement in setup.ini but doing that
does nothing.  I've also heard that setting this value to zero will fix the
problem but it does nothing either.  Last week we traced the problem down to
a file called   shfolder.dll   located in winnt/system32.  Renaming or
removing this file before the client installation made all of my problems go
away.  Of course we are not completely sure of the ramifications of this but
we have not had any problems so far on over 15 NT servers with SP5 or 6a.
On some NT workstation clients I've run into problems with some programs
complaining that they need the renamed dll.  Technet is one of them.  On NT
workstations I've been renaming the file back to its orginal name.  Also on
some other workstations I've noticed that a program that uses the windows
installer will write a newer version of   shfolder.dll  I am not sure if the
Tivoli client does this.  DLL problems are nothing new in the windows world
so this makes sense to us.  Good luck

Jack