ADSM-L

Q about SAN tape library data movement

2001-03-06 06:59:42
Subject: Q about SAN tape library data movement
From: Mark Bryant <mark.bryant AT UK.ZURICH DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:40:55 +0000
Hi !

I'm planning implementing a fibre connected shared tape library between our
AIX systems. A question I have is about the path of the data. ie if I have
the client using the network free backup does it travel:

Client > TSM Server > Tape drive   or
Client > Tape drive

If the data is transferred directly from the client to the tape drive
without passing through the TSM server then I don't have to worry about the
workload of the TSM server and I can get away with having just one. If the
data travels through the TSM server and then to the tape drive then I may
need more than one server sharing the library as each AIX system has large
amounts of data to backup. Hope this makes sense!

Mark