ADSM-L

Re: Longlasting tape-reclamation run

2001-03-05 15:38:07
Subject: Re: Longlasting tape-reclamation run
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 15:24:22 -0500
Sorry to be replying so late on this thread, I am just back from
a weeks absence.  Collocation clusters are filespaces for ordinary
clients.  For api clients like notes they may be filespaces also or something
that equates to a filespace in the database.

Reclaim not only squeezes out the empty space in aggregates, but it also
brings together all the pieces of each filespace, which means it has to
skip down the tape to get to each piece;  the server will know where to
skip to, it isn't reading all blocks and hunting.  For the initial post with
4000+
clusters, that's a lot of skipping!  It will depend on how many times this
tape was the object of a migration task and thus how many pieces of each
filespace are on the tape.

In addition, if the target storage pool is collocated, each cluster may
ask for a new output tape, and tsm isn't smart enough to find all the
clusters that are bound for a particular output tape and reclaim them together.
Instead it is driven by the order of filespaces on the input tape, so the same
output tape may be mounted many times.

Move data does the same thing but without the aggregate squeeze.

--